Origins Available: French
From this historical and fascinating Italian region have emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Negri family. Italian people were originally known only by a single name, but it became necessary to adopt a second name as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The surname Negri is derived from the Italian word "negri" which means "black." It was most likely originally a nickname
for someone with a dark complexion, perhaps for an immigrant from northern Africa.
Early Origins of the Negri family
The surname Negri was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna
, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. One of the first records of the name was Carlo Negri di Pietra Santa who was a Bishop of the city in 929. Ferrar, a city in Emilia Romagna
is the capital of the province of Ferrara. Them city was at war with Venice
in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S.Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Negri family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Negri research.Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1290, 1626, 1882, 1544, 1585, 1616, 1624, 1623, 1698, 1663, 1666, 1480 and 1528 are included under the topic Early Negri History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Negri Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations
. The recorded spellings of Negri include Negri, Negro, Nigri, Nigris, Nigra, Negris, Negrelli, Negrotto, Negrello, Negroni and many more.
Early Notables of the Negri family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Gaspare Negri, a Venetian painter whose only known painting entitled "Virgin with the Dead Christ and Saints" can be seen in Boston. Andalò Negro of Genoa was master of the famous poet and author Boccaccio. Iacopo Negretti was a Venetian painter who lived around... Another 155 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Negri Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Negri family to the New World and Oceana
A search of the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Negri:
Negri Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angelo Negri, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- Angela Negri, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1896
- Antonio Negri, aged 7, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
Negri Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amadeo Negri, aged 18, who landed in America from Copparo, Italy, in 1907
- Adelina Negri, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Torino, Italy, in 1909
- Assunta Negri, aged 32, who landed in America from Torremaggiore, Italy, in 1909
- Anna Negri, aged 16, who settled in America, in 1911
- Amandino Negri, aged 16, who emigrated to America from S. Possidonio, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Negri (post 1700)
- Joe Negri (b. 1926), American jazz guitarist
- Francesco Negri (1841-1924), Italian photographer
- Marco Negri (b. 1970), Italian footballer
- Paolo Negri, Italian jazz organist
- Pola Negri (1897-1987), Polish film actress
- Ada Negri (1870-1945), Milanese poet, author of short stories, and teacher