Navas History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Navas.The original bearer of the name Navas, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Navas family originally lived in the northern Spanish province of Navarra. The place-name Navarra is derived from the Basque word "nava," or "naba," which means "plain near the mountains."
Early Origins of the Navas family
The surname Navas was first found in Aragon, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Early History of the Navas family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Navas research. Another 211 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1137, 1148, 1170, 1180, 1229, 1238, 1282, and 1469 are included under the topic Early Navas History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Navas Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Navarro, Navaro, Navarra, Navarre, Navarrolas and others.
Early Notables of the Navas family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Navas were sixteenth century Spanish engineer and officer Pedro Navarro; sixteenth century Spanish dramatist and actor Pedro Navarro; eighteenth century Spanish naval officer Juan José Navarro; Felipe Navarre, eighteenth century Spanish painter; nineteenth...
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Navas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Navas migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Navas Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joaquin Navas, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803 
- A St Navas, aged 29, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1860 
- Rafael Navas, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1881 
Contemporary Notables of the name Navas (post 1700) +
- Pedro Navas (b. 1948), Democrat who has represented California's 35th Assembly
- Longinos Navás (1858-1938), Spanish entomologist
- Jesús Navas (b. 1985), Spanish footballer
- Rómulo Zaragoza de Navas (b. 1894), Spanish painter
- Luisa Eugenia Navas (b. 1918), Chilean pharmacist and botanist
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)