100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Naumann family come from? What is the German Naumann family crest and coat of arms? When did the Naumann family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Naumann family history?The Naumann surname is derived from the Middle High German words "niuwe," meaning "new," and "mann," meaning "man." As such, the name was most likely originally a nickname for someone who had recently moved to a location.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Neumann, Neuman, Newman, Neumanns, Neumans and others.
First found in West Prussia and Pomerelia, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families in the western region. From the 13th century onwards the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Naumann research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1872, 1880, 1648, 1715, 1687, 1753 and 1779 are included under the topic Early Naumann History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 71 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Naumann Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Naumann Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Gottlieb Naumann, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Jacob Naumann, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Daniel Naumann, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1769
- Sigmund Naumann, who arrived in America in 1778
- Justus Naumann, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782
Naumann Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Julie Naumann, who landed in Cincinnati, Oh in 1836
- William Naumann, aged 28, landed in Missouri in 1841
- John Naumann, aged 48, landed in Missouri in 1845
- Gerhard Naumann, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1845
- Richard Naumann, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
Naumann Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Karl B. Naumann, aged 25, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Clarence" in 1875
- Ida P. Naumann, aged 34, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Clarence" in 1875
- Joseph Fred Naumann (b. 1949), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Hans Naumann (1886-1951), German literary historian and folklorist
- Johann Friedrich Naumann (1780-1857), regarded as the founder of scientific ornithology in Europe
- General (Ret.) Klaus Naumann (b. 1939), Chairman of the NATO Military Committee from 1996 to 1999
- Albert Naumann (b. 1875), German Olympic fencer at the 1908 and 1912 Summer Olympics
- Christian August Naumann (b. 1705), German architect
- Friedrich Naumann (1860-1919), German theologian and politician
- Georg Amadeus Carl Friedrich Naumann (1797-1873), German geologist and mineralogist, eponym of the lunar crater
- Heinrich Edmund Naumann (1854-1927), German geologist, the “father of Japanese geology”
- Johann Gottlieb Naumann (1741-1801), German composer, conductor, and Kapellmeister
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Naumann Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Naumann Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!