The Nardi surname was a patronymic
name, created from the personal name
Nardo, which was in turn, a shortened form of Bernardo.
Early Origins of the Nardi family
The surname Nardi was first found in the Kingdom of Naples, formerly Napoli or Neapolis, in southern Italy. There is also a city of Nardò in the province of Lecce, that dates from the Baroque era. Belisario Acquaviva, a nobleman and writer from the Kingdom of Naples became the first Duke of Nardo (Duca di Nardò) in the 15th century.
Early History of the Nardi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nardi research.Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1310, 1384, 1425, 1457, 1394, 1424 and 1770 are included under the topic Early Nardi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nardi Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations
were the unsurprising result. The variations of Nardi include Di Nardi, Di Nardo, Nardo, Nardone, Nardini, Nardi, Nardis, Nordi, Nordine, Nardino and many more.
Early Notables of the Nardi family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon
. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian
emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated... Another 106 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nardi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Nardi family to the New World and Oceana
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Nardi:
Nardi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Nardi, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Nardi (post 1700)
- Clarine Nardi (b. 1949), former attorney general of Connecticut, United States
- Sonny Nardi, American Democrat politician, Member of Democratic National Committee from Ohio, 2008; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 2008
- Archimede Nardi (b. 1916), Italian professional football player
- Gregorio Nardi (b. 1964), Italian pianist and musicologist
- Enrico Nardi (1907-1966), Italian race car driver, engineer and designer, founder of Ufficine Nardi car-makers
- Anacarsi Nardi (1800-1844), Italian patriot
- Daniela Nardi, classically-trained Canadian singer and songwriter based in Toronto
Nardi Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)