The Nardelli surname was a patronymic
name, created from the personal name
Nardo, which was in turn, a shortened form of Bernardo.
Early Origins of the Nardelli family
The surname Nardelli was first found in the Kingdom of Naples, formerly Napoli or Neapolis, in southern Italy. There is also a city of Nardò in the province of Lecce, that dates from the Baroque era. Belisario Acquaviva, a nobleman and writer from the Kingdom of Naples became the first Duke of Nardo (Duca di Nardò) in the 15th century.
Early History of the Nardelli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nardelli research.Another 245 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1310, 1384, 1425, 1457, 1394, 1424 and 1770 are included under the topic Early Nardelli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nardelli Spelling Variations
Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms in comparison with other European surnames because they reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each of which has its distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the most standard Italian surname suffix is "I", whereas in Southern Italy the most typical surname suffix is "O". Sardinian is very different from other forms of Italian and in fact, it is considered to be its own distinct language. Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes, church officials, and the bearers of names, spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. As a consequence of the major changes in the Italian language and in the local
spellings of Italian surnames that occurred over the course of history, there are numerous variations for the surname Nardelli. These spelling variations
include Di Nardi, Di Nardo, Nardo, Nardone, Nardini, Nardi, Nardis, Nordi, Nordine, Nardino and many more.
Early Notables of the Nardelli family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon
. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian
emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated... Another 106 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nardelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Nardelli family to the New World and Oceana
Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Nardelli were
Nardelli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carmine Nardelli, aged 38, who emigrated to America from Capriati, in 1900
- Adamo Nardelli, aged 33, who landed in America from Scheggia, Italy, in 1909
- Carino Nilo Nardelli, aged 23, who landed in America from Candela, Italy, in 1910
- Antonia Nardelli, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Alberobello, Italy, in 1910
- Achille Nardelli, aged 16, who settled in America from Atina, Caserta, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Nardelli (post 1700)
- Robert "Bob" Louis Nardelli (b. 1948), American Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Chrysler
- Eugene D. Nardelli, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1972
- Francesco Romano Nardelli (b. 1953), Italian naturalist
- Stephen "Steve" Louis Nardelli (b. 1948), English musician, singer and songwriter
- Ante Nardelli, Croatian sportsman