Nale History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Nale can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Venice. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most common type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Nale came from the given name Natali, which is based on a saint's name or is a nickname for one who was born on the feast of Christmas. The name Natali derives from the Latin word natilis, which was later used to describe Christmas Day.
Early Origins of the Nale family
The surname Nale was first found in the town of Oderzo, which lies north of Venice. Records show that the Nadale family moved from Oderzo to Venice in 1297.
Early History of the Nale family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nale research. Another 49 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1315, 1550, 1817, 1418, 1504, 1652, 1722, 1575 and 1867 are included under the topic Early Nale History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nale Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Nale include Natali, Natale, Nadali, Nadale, Natoli, Nataletti, Nadalet, Natalini, Nadalini, Nadalin, Natalucci, Nataloni, Natalizi, Natalizio, Natalut, Nadalutti, Naletto, Nadini, Nadin, Nalato and many more.
Early Notables of the Nale family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Gaspare Nadi (1418-1504), an Italian builder famous for his diary; Giuseppe Natali (1652-1722), an Italian painter of the Baroque period; and Tommaso Natale of Palermo, a famous novelist around 1575. From the Natale family of Trani came many religious men: Alberto Natale, Cardinal of S.R. Chiesa; Pietro Natale, Bishop of Aquileia; Guerardo Natale, minister of the Dominican Order of Monks; Protasio, minister of...
Another 70 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nale migration to the United States +
Immigrants bearing the name Nale or a variant listed above include:
Nale Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hugh Nale, who arrived in Maryland in 1659 
Nale Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Tobias K Nale, aged 30, who arrived in New York in 1908 aboard the ship "Lusitania" from Liverpool, England 
- Maria Nale, aged 23, originally from Urhuska, Austria, who arrived in New York, New York, N.Y. in 1909 aboard the ship "Saint Louis" from Southampton, England 
Contemporary Notables of the name Nale (post 1700) +
- Thomas Nale, American politician, Mayor of Waterville, Maine, 1986-87
- Ada Belle Mills Nale (1882-1947), American Democrat politician, Postmaster; Member of Missouri Democratic State Central Committee
- Abia Nale (b. 1986), South African footballer who currently plays for Premier Soccer League club Mpumalanga Black Aces
- Prospero Nale Arellano (1937-2014), Fillipino Roman Catholic bishop
- Nale Boniface (b. 1993), Tanzanian beauty pageant titleholder, Miss Earth Tanzania 2014
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXGJ-7X9 : 6 December 2014), Tobias K Nale, 13 Mar 1908; citing departure port Liverpool, arrival port New York, ship name Lusitania, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JX1D-22H : 6 December 2014), Maria Nale, 22 Aug 1909; citing departure port Southampton, arrival port New York, New York, N.Y., ship name Saint Louis, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).