100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Murgatroyd family come from? What is the English Murgatroyd family crest and coat of arms? When did the Murgatroyd family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Murgatroyd family history?The Murgatroyd surname is thought to be a habitational name from an extinct place name near Halifax. It has been suggested that the place name derived from the medieval personal name Margaret and the Middle English word "royd," meaning "a clearing."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Murgatroyd, Murgatroid, Mergatroid, Mergatroyd and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where one of the first records of the name was Johanus de Morgateroyde who was listed as a constable appointed for the district of Warley in 1371. His name literally meant John of Moor Gate Royde. A few years later in 1379 in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls, John Mergetrode was listed as holding estates in that shire at that time.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Murgatroyd research. Another 187 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Murgatroyd History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Murgatroyd Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Murgatroyd Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Murgatroyd, who arrived in Maryland in 1724
- Elizabeth Murgatroyd, who arrived in Annapolis, Maryland in 1725
- John Murgatroyd, who came to Philadelphia in 1779
Murgatroyd Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Murgatroyd, who landed in New York in 1831
- Ellen Murgatroyd, who arrived in Detroit in 1855
- James H. Murgatroyd, who came to Ohio in 1891
- George Murgatroyd, who settled in Ohio in 1891
Murgatroyd Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edward Hilton Murgatroyd, who settled in Baltimore in 1900
- Francis Charles Murgatroyd, who arrived in Colorado in 1938
- Dr. Stephen John Murgatroyd (b. 1950), English writer, broadcaster and University professor
- Henry Murgatroyd (1853-1905), English cricketer
- Bryan Murgatroyd (b. 1969), Namibian cricketer
- Cecil G. Murgatroyd (1958-2001), long-running satirical political candidate in Australia and New Zealand
- William A. Murgatroyd (b. 1893), analytical chemist
- Mr. Frederick Murgatroyd, British Engine Room Artificer 1st Class, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Gavin Bryan Murgatroyd (b. 1969), Namibian cricketer
- Peta Jane Murgatroyd (b. 1986), New Zealand-born, Australian professional dancer, best known for her appearances on Dancing with the Stars
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Murgatroyd Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Murgatroyd Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 June 2015 at 08:39.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!