on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Murgatroyd family come from? What is the English Murgatroyd family crest and coat of arms? When did the Murgatroyd family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Murgatroyd family history?The Murgatroyd surname is thought to be a habitational name from an extinct place name near Halifax. It has been suggested that the place name derived from the medieval personal name Margaret and the Middle English word "royd," meaning "a clearing."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Murgatroyd, Murgatroid, Mergatroid, Mergatroyd and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where one of the first records of the name was Johanus de Morgateroyde who was listed as a constable appointed for the district of Warley in 1371. His name literally meant John of Moor Gate Royde. A few years later in 1379 in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls, John Mergetrode was listed as holding estates in that shire at that time.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Murgatroyd research. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Murgatroyd History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Murgatroyd Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Murgatroyd Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Murgatroyd, who arrived in Maryland in 1724
- Elizabeth Murgatroyd, who arrived in Annapolis, Maryland in 1725
- John Murgatroyd, who came to Philadelphia in 1779
Murgatroyd Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Murgatroyd, who landed in New York in 1831
- Ellen Murgatroyd, who arrived in Detroit in 1855
- James H. Murgatroyd, who came to Ohio in 1891
- George Murgatroyd, who settled in Ohio in 1891
Murgatroyd Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edward Hilton Murgatroyd, who settled in Baltimore in 1900
- Francis Charles Murgatroyd, who arrived in Colorado in 1938
- Henry Murgatroyd (1853-1905), English cricketer
- Dr. Stephen John Murgatroyd (b. 1950), English writer, broadcaster and University professor
- Peta Jane Murgatroyd (b. 1986), New Zealand-born, Australian professional dancer, best known for her appearances on Dancing with the Stars
- Gavin Bryan Murgatroyd (b. 1969), Namibian cricketer
- Mr. Frederick Murgatroyd, British Engine Room Artificer 1st Class, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- William A. Murgatroyd (b. 1893), analytical chemist
- Cecil G. Murgatroyd (1958-2001), long-running satirical political candidate in Australia and New Zealand
- Bryan Murgatroyd (b. 1969), Namibian cricketer
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Murgatroyd Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Murgatroyd Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 June 2015 at 08:39.
on orders of $85 or more