Munsch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Munsch lie in the region of the Rhineland. The name is derived from the Low German words "Münk" or "Mönk," meaning "monk." Munsch was probably first used as a surname by a former member of a monastery, who passed the name down to his descendants.
Early Origins of the Munsch family
The surname Munsch was first found in the Rhineland, where this family was a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always influential in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it forged alliances with other families within the region and the nation. The first known bearer of the name was the farmer Albrecht Münch, who lived at the southern edge of the Rhineland in 1204.
Early History of the Munsch family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munsch research. Another 162 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1204, 1286, 1788 and 1831 are included under the topic Early Munsch History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Munsch Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Munch, Munnich, Munnick, Muench, Münch, Munsch, Münsch, Muenich, Münnich, Monsche, Münich, Muennich and many more.
Early Notables of the Munsch family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Munsch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Munsch migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Munsch Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Munsch, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1768 
Munsch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Munsch, who arrived in America in 1852 
- Saturn Munsch, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1858 
- Theodore Munsch, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1867 
- Joseph Munsch, who landed in Kansas in 1876 
- Maria Barbara Munsch, who arrived in Kansas in 1876 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Munsch (post 1700) +
- Robert Munsch (b. 1945), Canadian author of over ninety books and stories for children
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)