Mumm History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished German surname Mumm comes from Friesland, now a district of Lower Saxony. The name is derived from the Germanic personal name "Mumma," now found only in Friesland, and means "son of Mumma." Alternatively, the name may be derived from the Germanic word "mumm," meaning "to mutter." In this instance, the name would have been originally bestowed as a nickname, most likely in the region of Swabia, where the spelling "Mumm" is most common.
Early Origins of the Mumm family
The surname Mumm was first found in various cities in northern Germany, where the earliest instances of the name were recorded. The first known bearer was Nikolas Mumme, who lived in Hamburg from 1290 to 1305. The young Mumm family was an integral part of the society of the region, playing a crucial role in its development during the early Middle Ages.
Early History of the Mumm family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mumm research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1334, 1492, 1695, and 1799 are included under the topic Early Mumm History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mumm Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mumm, Mumma, Mumme, Mum and others.
Early Notables of the Mumm family (pre 1700)
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mumm Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mumm migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mumm Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Mumm, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1802 
Contemporary Notables of the name Mumm (post 1700) +
- Nathan Mumm (b. 1973), American sports executive from Everett, Washington, the original owner of the Snohomish County Explosion
- D. Reinhard Mumm (1916-1960), German politician, Member of the IV. German Reichstag (Weimar Republic) (1873–1932)
- Arnold L Mumm, Canadian mountain climber, eponym of Mumm Peak, on the border of Alberta and British Columbia
- Dean Mumm (b. 1984), New Zealand-born, Australian rugby union player from Auckland
- Phillip Mumm, French co-founder with his two brothers of G. H. Mumm & Cie, known for the brand, Mumm's, one of the largest Champagne producers worldwide
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)