The Italian Mottola name is a habitational name derived from the place name Mottola, in Taranto province.
Early Origins of the Mottola family
The surname Mottola was first found in Calabria a territorial district of Italy. Ancient Calabria was in Lecce. Modern Calabria is in the southern extremity of Italy coasting the straits of Messina. Reggio and Messina are the cities of note. This beautiful region produces wine. Olive oil and fruit. Reggio was heavily bombed during WWII because of its strategical link with Sicily
. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Mottola family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mottola research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mottola History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mottola Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Mottola, Motola, Motoli, Mottoli, Mottolo, Motolo, Mottoletti, Mottolini, Mottela, Motela, Motteli, Mottelo, Moteli and many more.
Early Notables of the Mottola family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mottola Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mottola family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mottola Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Guy Mottola, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1887 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Amato Mottola, age 38, who arrived at New York on May 14, 1888, aboard the "Cachar"
- Filomena Mottola, age 14, who arrived in America on Dec. 14, 1880, aboard the "Italia"
- Alfonso Mottola, age 26, who arrived in New York on May 7, 1890 aboard the "Alesia"
Contemporary Notables of the name Mottola (post 1700)
- Charles Edward Mottola (b. 1971), American Major League Baseball player
- Thomas Daniel Mottola (b. 1949), American music executive
- Tony Mottola (1918-2004), American guitarist