Moro History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Moro is a patronymic surname, created from the personal name Mauro, which is itself derived from the Latin name Maurus. Patronymic surnames were created from the name of the bearer's father or relative, and gradually during the Middle Ages, these names became fixed hereditary surnames.
Early Origins of the Moro family
The surname Moro was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), around the year 1179.
Early History of the Moro family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moro research. Another 30 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1050, 1375, 1639, 1636, 1677 and 1735 are included under the topic Early Moro History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moro Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Moro include Moro, Moras, Morasco, Morassi, Morasso, Morassut, Morassutti, Moratelli, Morati, Moratti, Moratto, Morazzi, Morero, Moreschi, Moraschi, Moresi, Moret, Moretti, Moretto, Morin, Morini, Morino, Moriotti, Moriotto, Morozzi, Morisco, Moresco, Morisi, Mori, Morimanno, Moroni, Morucchio, Morucci and many more.
Early Notables of the Moro family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giacomo Morattinni who compiled volumes of statutory laws and legislation made from the year 1050 to 1375 in the region of Forli and Siena. Later, in the 17th century, Antonio Morelli was a member...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Moro Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moro migration to the United States +
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Moro:
Moro Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- August Moro, who landed in America in 1783 
Moro Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco Moro, who arrived in America in 1816 
- Tomas Moro, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1816 
- Anto Moro, aged 24, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1823 
- Garci Moro, who landed in America in 1827 
- Bernardo Moro, aged 34, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Moro (post 1700) +
- Yakubu Moro (d. 2020), Ghana owner, founder and bankroller of Berekum Arsenal F.C
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)