Morice History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The majestic country of France is the ancestral homeland of the distinguished surname Morice.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. The name Morice was originally derived from the early Christian given name Mauritius, which itself comes from the Phoenician word mauharim, meaning eastern.
Early Origins of the Morice family
The surname Morice was first found in Guyenne, where the family was anciently seated.
Several members of this distinguished family became renowned. Jean Morisot, born in Dôle around 1510, was a scholar that studied medicine. Claude-Barthélemy Morisot was born in Dijon in 1592 and was the son of a consultant for the treasury of Dôle. He was also a scholar and died in Dijon in 1661. Antoine Maurice, born in Eyguières, a small village of Provence, was also a scholar. He died in Geneva in 1756.
Early History of the Morice family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Morice research. Another 36 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1592, 1661, 1756, 1767, 1821, 1841, and 1895 are included under the topic Early Morice History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Morice Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Morise, Morisse, Morice, Maurice, Maurisse, Moriset, Morriset, Morisette, Morrisette, Morisset, Morrisset, Morissette, Morrissette, Mauricet, Morisot, Morissot, Maurissot, Morison, Morisson and many more.
Early Notables of the Morice family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morice Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Morice is the 553rd most popular surname with an estimated 8,431 people with that name. 
Morice migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Morice Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Morice, who landed in America in 1654
Morice Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Morice, who landed in Virginia in 1711 
- Marguerite Morice, who arrived in Louisiana in 1719 
Morice Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Morice, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Morice (post 1700) +
- H. Morice, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Swansea, 1862-66 
- Professor Peter Beaumont Morice,
- Tara Morice, Australian actress, singer, and dancer
- Sir William Morice (1628-1690), 1st Baronet, English royalist statesman
- Admiral of the Fleet Sir Charles Morice Pole (1757-1830), 1st Baronet, English naval officer and Colonial Governor of Newfoundland (1800-1801)
- Morice Benin (1947-2021), born Moïse Ben-Haïm, a French singer-songwriter
Related Stories +
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 25) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html