Moretti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Moretti is a patronymic surname, created from the personal name Mauro, which is itself derived from the Latin name Maurus. Patronymic surnames were created from the name of the bearer's father or relative, and gradually during the Middle Ages, these names became fixed hereditary surnames.
Early Origins of the Moretti family
The surname Moretti was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), around the year 1179.
Early History of the Moretti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moretti research. Another 30 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1050, 1375, 1639, 1636, 1677, 1735, 1526, 1555, 1546 and 1558 are included under the topic Early Moretti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moretti Spelling Variations
Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms in comparison with other European surnames because they reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each of which has its distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the most standard Italian surname suffix is "I", whereas in Southern Italy the most typical surname suffix is "O". Sardinian is very different from other forms of Italian and in fact, it is considered to be its own distinct language. Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes, church officials, and the bearers of names, spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. As a consequence of the major changes in the Italian language and in the local spellings of Italian surnames that occurred over the course of history, there are numerous variations for the surname Moretti. These spelling variations include Moro, Moras, Morasco, Morassi, Morasso, Morassut, Morassutti, Moratelli, Morati, Moratti, Moratto, Morazzi, Morero, Moreschi, Moraschi, Moresi, Moret, Moretti, Moretto, Morin, Morini, Morino, Moriotti, Moriotto, Morozzi, Morisco, Moresco, Morisi, Mori, Morimanno, Moroni, Morucchio, Morucci and many more.
Early Notables of the Moretti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giacomo Morattinni who compiled volumes of statutory laws and legislation made from the year 1050 to 1375 in the region of Forli and Siena. Later, in the 17th century, Antonio Morelli was a member of the judiciary in Modena in 1639. There was also a merchant branch of the family who lived in Venice in 1636. Lorenzo del Moro (1677-1735), was an Italian painter of the Rococo period, active mainly in his native...
Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Moretti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Moretti is the 13,209th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Moretti is ranked the 2,230th most popular surname with an estimated 2,867 people with that name. 
Moretti migration to the United States +
The records on immigrants and ships' passengers show a number of people bearing the name Moretti:
Moretti Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juan Moretti, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1813 
Moretti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Andrea Moretti, aged 45, who landed in America from Vagli Sotto, Italy, in 1909
- Angela Moretti, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Aradi, Italy, in 1910
- Adelaide Moretti, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from Esperia, Italy, in 1911
- Alfonso Moretti, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Cagliacorsa, Italy, in 1911
- Andrea Moretti, aged 42, who settled in America from Pisticci, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Moretti (post 1700) +
- Fabrizio Moretti (b. 1980), born in Rio de Janeiro, a Brazilian-American musician and visual artist best known as the drummer for American rock band The Strokes. He has worked on a variety of art projects which span the mediums of drawing, sculpture, and installation and performance art
- Frank Moretti (b. 1944), American Professor at Columbia University
- David Moretti, American actor
- Robert "Bob" Moretti (1936-1984), American politician, who served in the California State Assembly (1965 to 1974)
- Giovanni "Nanni" Moretti (b. 1953), Italian film director, producer and actor
- Giuseppe Moretti (1857-1935), Italian sculptor
- Franco Moretti, Italian literary scholar
- Filomena Moretti (b. 1973), Italian classical guitarist
- Emiliano Moretti (b. 1981), Italian football defender
- Cristoforo Moretti (1451-1475), Lombard painter of the quattrocento
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)