on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins of the Morelli name are uncertain, but most scholars seems to agree that the name likely comes from the Latin term "maurus," used to describe either a Moor, or anyone of a markedly dark complexion. There have also been place names such as Morella, a town in the Spanish province of Casteldon de la Plana, and Morelli, Calabria, and the Morelli surname may have been taken on from the name of the place whence its original bearer hailed. This name can be found in forms with the typical Italian surname endings of "i" and "o," the former being characteristic of northern Italy, the latter, more typical in the South.
The surname Morelli was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), where a family of this name has resided since the 14th century.
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Morelli include Morelli, Morèlli, Morello, Morèllo, Morella and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Morelli research. Another 141 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1571, 1608, 1690, 1747, 1745, 1819 and 1778 are included under the topic Early Morelli History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 143 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Morelli:
Morelli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- P Morelli, aged 24, landed in New Orleans, La in 1836
- Angelo Morelli, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1892
- Alessandro Morelli, aged 61, who emigrated to the United States from Alifi, Italy, in 1893
Morelli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alberino Morelli, aged 19, who settled in America from Salerno, Italy, in 1912
- Adelina Morelli, aged 18, who landed in America from S. Guilano, Italy, in 1912
- Adolfo Morelli, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Fondagno, Italy, in 1913
- Agostino Morelli, aged 29, who landed in America from Cartana, Italy, in 1914
- Alessandra Morelli, aged 39, who landed in America from Minturno, Italy, in 1920
- Jack Morelli (b. 1962), American comic book letterer and author
- Anthony Michael Morelli (b. 1985), American football quarterback
- Mr. Paolo Morelli (1885-2014), Italian Third Class Passenger from Turin, Italy who survived the sinking on the Empress of Ireland on May 29th 1914
- Giampaolo Morelli (b. 1974), Italian actor, director, and screenwriter
- Lazzaro Morelli (1608-1690), Italian sculptor of the Baroque period
- Cosimo Morelli (1732-1812), Italian architect
- Ambrogio Morelli (1905-2000), Italian professional road bicycle racer
- Rina Morelli (1908-1976), Italian film actress
- Domenico Morelli (1823-1901), Italian painter, one of the most important Neapolitan artists of the 19th century
- Giovanni Morelli (1816-1891), Italian art critic
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
The Morelli Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Morelli Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more