on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Noble surnames, such as Montanez, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Montanez, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Montanez family originally lived in a mountainous region of that province. This local name was originally derived from the Spanish word monte, which means hill or wooded upland.
The surname Montanez was first found in the Basque
region of northern Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Montoya, de Montoya, Monte, Montes, de Montes, Móntez, Montez, Montero, Monteros, de los Monteros, Montecillo, Montejo, de Montejo, Mont, Montaña, Montana, Montaño and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montanez research. Another 387 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 128 and 1289 are included under the topic Early Montanez History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 161 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Montanez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Montanez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisca Montanez, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Jose Montanez, aged 11, who emigrated to America, in 1894
Montanez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Susana Montanez, aged 21, who settled in America from San Juan, in 1904
- Francisco Montanez, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1912
- Jose Montanez, aged 33, who landed in America from Canile, Spain, in 1913
- Albord Juan Montanez, aged 27, who landed in America from Valencia, Spain, in 1914
- Carlos Montanez, aged 42, who emigrated to the United States from Barcelona, Spain, in 1919
- Cindy Montañez (b. 1974), American Democratic Assemblywoman
- Guillermo Montañez (b. 1948), former American Major League Baseball first baseman
- Román Montañez, Spanish professional basketball player
- Pedro Montañez (1914-1996), boxer from Cayey, Puerto Rico
- Polo Montañez (1955-2002), Cuban singer and songwriter
- Luis Anibal Montañez (b. 1981), Puerto Rican professional baseball outfielder
- Andrés Montañez (b. 1942), salsa singer from Puerto Rico
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Montanez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Montanez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 04:54.
on orders of $85 or more