Montalto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Montalto family
The surname Montalto was first found in Naples, (Italian: Napoli, Latin: Neapolis) former capital of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies in southern Italy; it is the chief city of the province of Naples. It shares with Istanbul the claim to be the most beautiful city in Europe. Naples has 237 Churches and 57 Chapels. The National Museum and other galleries contain riches in art and artifacts. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Montalto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montalto research. Another 225 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1279, 1300, and 1575 are included under the topic Early Montalto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montalto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Montalto, Montaldo, Montalti, Montalvo, Montaldi, Monte Alto, Montalvo, Montalt and many more.
Early Notables of the Montalto family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated the Austrians, and the region came under Spanish rule once more. In 1799...
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Montalto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Montalto is the 16,811st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Montalto migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Montalto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Luigi Montalto of Naples who arrived at Ellis Island, New York in 1897
Montalto Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- A. Mario Montalto, aged 30, who landed in America from S. Giuliano, Italy, in 1904
- Antonino Montalto, aged 40, who landed in America from Canicattini, Siracusa, Italy, in 1907
- Antonino Montalto, aged 18, who settled in America from Marsala, Sicily, in 1909
- Agrippuir Montalto, aged 49, who landed in America from Muno, Italy, in 1909
- Benedetto Montalto, aged 25, who immigrated to America from Lercara, Italy, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Montalto (post 1700) ||+|
- Joseph G. Montalto, American politician, Member of New York State Senate 23rd District, 1983-84 
- Francesco Peretti di Montalto (1597-1655), Italian Catholic Cardinal
- Alessandro Damasceni Peretti di Montalto (1571-1623), Italian Roman Catholic Cardinal Deacon
- John Attard Montalto (b. 1953), Maltese politician