Mobly History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Mobly family
The surname Mobly was first found in Cheshire at Mobberley, a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow.  The parish dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was first listed as Motburlege and literally meant "clearing at the fortification where meetings are held," from the Old English "mot" + "burh" + "leah."  Moberly was held by Bigot de Loges at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book and conjecturally, the family name is descended from this ancient Norman Baron. St Wilfrid's Church, Mobberley traces it's origin to the oldest part of the church dating about 1245. Early records revealed Patrick de Mobberley founded an Augustinian priory here in 1206 in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Wilfrid, but the priory only existed for a short time. During a restoration in 1888, remains of a Saxon church were also found. Nearby, Mobberley Old Hall is a country house that dates back to 1612. The first record of the name was Patrick Moberlegh who was listed in East Cheshire c. 1220. Almost one hundred years later, William de Modburlegh was listed in Cheshire in 1308.  Ralph de Modberleg was listed in the Assize Rolls of Cheshire in 1260. 
Important Dates for the Mobly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mobly research. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1565, 1568, 1585 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Mobly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mobly Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moberley, Mobberley, Mobeley, Mobdurley, Mobley and others.
Early Notables of the Mobly family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mobly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mobly migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mobly Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J L Mobly, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1920
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)