Early Origins of the Militello family
The surname Militello was first found in Calabria a territorial district of Italy. Ancient Calabria was in Lecce. Modern Calabria is in the southern extremity of Italy coasting the straits of Messina. Reggio and Messina are the cities of note. This beautiful region produces wine. Olive oil and fruit. Reggio was heavily bombed during WWII because of its strategic link with Sicily
. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. Pre-dating the use of surnames, was Saint Melito of Sardis (d. circa 180,) a second century Christian bishop, religious authority and prolific writer.
Early History of the Militello family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Militello research.Another 243 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1311 and 1334 are included under the topic Early Militello History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Militello Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Mileto, Mileti, Miletto, Miletti, Millette, Milleto, Milletti, Milito, Millito, Millitello, Militello and many more.
Early Notables of the Militello family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Militello Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Militello family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Militello Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Giuseppe Militello, who arrived in New York on Oct. 15, 1887, aboard the "Britannic"
- Antonio Militello, who arrived in New York on Oct. 23, 1890
Contemporary Notables of the name Militello (post 1700)
- Jennifer Militello, American award winning poet and professor
- Sam Salvatore Militello Jr. (b. 1969), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the New York Yankees in 1992 and 1993
- Robert Phillip "Bobby" Militello (b. 1950), American Jazz musician, known for his work with Maynard Ferguson and Dave Brubeck
- Muriel Marland- Militello (b. 1943), French politician, Member of the National Assembly of France