Mijares History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The noble Spanish surname Mijares is of local
or toponymic origin, being derived from the name of the place of residence of the initial bearer of the name. The place-name Mijares is derived from the word "mijo" which means "millet" and refers to a field planted with such a crop. This plant was grown for its small nutritious seeds. Thus, the place-name and surname Mijares arose in areas where millet was frequently grown.
Early Origins of the Mijares family
The surname Mijares was first found in Santander, a province in the ancient and powerful kingdom of Castile.
Early History of the Mijares family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mijares research.Another 373 words (27 lines of text) covering the years 1652 and 1691 are included under the topic Early Mijares History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mijares Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Mijares family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos nombres de familias se han destacado, por ejemplo... Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mijares Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mijares family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Pedro Vicente Mijares, who arrived at Ellis Island
in 1892; as well as Arce Jose Mijares, who came from Santander, Spain
to Ellis Island
Contemporary Notables of the name Mijares (post 1700)
- Manuel Mijares (b. 1958), popular Mexican Spanish-language singer
- Ricardo Mijares (b. 1988), Mexican professional boxer
- Salvador Augusto Mijares (1897-1979), Venezuelan lawyer, historian, writer, educator and journalist
- Emil Mijares (1935-2007), award-winning Filipino jazz musician
- Omar Mijares, retired Venezuelan professional wrestler
- Cristian Ricardo Lucio Mijares (b. 1981), Mexican professional boxer
- José Manuel Mijares (b. 1984), Venezuelan left-handed major league pitcher
- Miguel Aldana Mijares (b. 1920), Mexican civil engineer
- Jose Mijares (b. 1910), play-write in the Philippines
- José Mijares Palencia (b. 1895), Mexican journalist
Mijares Family Crest Products