on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Merz was first found in the Rhineland
, where this family was a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always influential in social affairs, the family name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it forged alliances with other families within the region and the nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Merrittstein, Meerheim, Meistersheim, Mercklien, Merklein, Merzstein, Mertzheim, Meirstein, Maerheim, Maerstein, Meerstein and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Merz research. Another 174 words (12 lines of text) covering the year 1844 is included under the topic Early Merz History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Merz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Merz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Margaretha Merz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
Merz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Goachim Merz, who landed in Missouri in 1840
- Maria Elisabeth Merz, who landed in Texas in 1844
- Johann Merz, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Magdelena Merz, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Anna Marie Merz, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Jon F. Merz, American author
- Jesse Merz (b. 1973), American actor, director, producer, writer, and educator
- Charlie Merz (1888-1952), American racecar driver, Chief Steward of the Memorial Day Classic
- Aaron Merz (b. 1983), American NFL football offensive lineman
- Joseph Anton Merz (1681-1750), German Baroque painter
- Friedrich Merz (b. 1955), German politician, former Member of the European Parliament (1989–1994)
- Mario Merz (1925-2003), Italian artist
- Klaus Merz (b. 1945), Swiss writer
- Blessed Ivan Merz (1896-1928), Croatian Catholic lay activist
- Hans-Rudolf Merz (b. 1942), President of Switzerland (2009)
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
The Merz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Merz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 May 2016 at 05:05.
on orders of $85 or more