on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, German
Where did the German Mertz family come from? What is the German Mertz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mertz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mertz family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mertz, Merttz, Mertze, Merts, Mertzes, Merttz, Mertts, Merrtz, Meertz, Meertze, Merts and many more.
First found in the Rhineland, where this family was a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always influential in social affairs, the name Mertz became an integral part of that turbulent region as it forged alliances with other families within the region and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mertz research. Another 191 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1646 and 1740 are included under the topic Early Mertz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mertz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mertz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Catharina Mertz, who arrived in New York in 1710
- Anna Catharina Mertz, who settled in New York in 1710
- Anna Elisabeth Mertz, who came to Pennsylvania in 1732
- Anna Dorothea Mertz, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Anna Dorothea Mertz, who came to Pennsylvania in 1732
Mertz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karl Mertz, who landed in Ohio in 1835
- Olway Mertz, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Carl Conrad Mertz, who landed in Texas in 1845
- Peter Mertz, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1846
- Theophilus Mertz, aged 24, landed in Missouri in 1846
Mertz Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Elisabeth Mertz, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Harold J "Bud" Mertz, American co-creator of the Hybrid III crash test dummy which is now the only recognized test device in both North America and Europe
- Barbara Mertz (1927-2013), American mystery and suspense author who used the pseudonyms Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels
- Stephen Mertz (b. 1947), American fiction author
- Dolores M. Mertz (b. 1928), American politician, Member of the Iowa House of Representatives (1988-)
- LuEsther T. Mertz (1905-1991), American businesswoman and philanthropist, founder of Publisher's Clearinghouse
- Henriette Mertz (1898-1985), American patent attorney and ancient history researcher from Chicago
- Rear Admiral Albert Mertz, American Naval officer, eponym of the USS Mertz (DD-691), a World War II-era Fletcher-class destroyer
- Albrecht Ritter Mertz von Quirnheim (1905-1944), German officer and a resistance fighter involved in the 20 July plot to kill Adolf Hitler, executed for his actions
- Johann Kaspar Mertz (1806-1856), Hungarian Slovak composer
- Xavier Guillaume Mertz (1883-1913), Swiss explorer, mountaineer and skier, member of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition (1912-1913) who died 100 miles from his base camp, eponym of the Mertz Glacier
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
The Mertz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mertz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2014 at 18:48.
on orders of $85 or more