Mendel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Mendel family are found in the German state of Bavaria. Mendel was a local name, for someone who lived in Bavaria, where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which was to forge the shape of modern Europe.
Early Origins of the Mendel family
The surname Mendel was first found in Bavaria, where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which shaped modern Europe. The family branched into several houses, all of which played an important role in the local political conflicts which forged the nation.
Early History of the Mendel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mendel research. Another 232 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1792, 1415, 1502, 1793, 1822, 1860 and 1683 are included under the topic Early Mendel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mendel Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Mendel include Mendel, Mendele, Mendell, Mendl, Mendle, Maendel, Maendele, Maendell, Maendl, Maendle, Meindel and many more.
Early Notables of the Mendel family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name Mendel in this period include Gregor Johann Mendel (1822-84), an Augustinian monk, who formulated the laws of heredity bearing his name (Mendel's Laws) and laid the foundation...
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mendel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Mendel is the 13,705th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Mendel migration to the United States ||+|
German settlers were among the most common to come to North America between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries. Poverty and religious persecution drove many Bavarians to make this long trek. tenant farmers were also enticed by the prospect of owning land. From east to west, these German immigrants populated the United States, settling in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada also provided homes to many. Early settlers bearing the Mendel surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Mendel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M Mendel, aged 24, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1832 
- Theodore Mendel, who settled in Philadelphia in 1844
- Salomon Abraham Mendel, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1844 
- Trine Mendel, who arrived in New York, NY in 1849 
- William Mendel, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1849 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Mendel (post 1700) ||+|
- Lafayette Benedict Mendel (1872-1935), American biochemist known for his work in nutrition including the study of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, lysine and tryptophan
- Arthur Mendel (1905-1975), prominent American musicologist, was the foremost Bach scholar of his generation
- Barry Mendel, two time Academy Award nominated producer
- Gregor Mendel (1822-1884), often called the "Father of Genetics", eponym of "Mendel's law of segregation" or "Mendel's Laws or Mendelian inheritance" and "Mendel" the lunar crater and much more
- Lucius Mendel Rivers (1905-1970), American Democratic Party politician, Member of South Carolina State House of Representatives, 1933-36; U.S. Representative from South Carolina 1st District, 1941-70 
- Mendel Cousens, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1932 
- Mendel Rosenblum, American professor of computer science at Stanford University, one of the co-founders of VMware
- Mendel Bromberg, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 7th District, 1926 
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, May 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html