Meltzer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Meltzer family
The surname Meltzer was first found in the East Riding of Yorkshire at Metham, a township, in the parish and union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire. "The township comprises 920 acres, of which two-thirds are arable. Metham Hall was built by Sir George Metham, whose family were long seated here."  At the time of the Domesday census, in 1086, Metham was occupied by Ilbert de Lacy, a Norman noble.
Some of the family were later found at Marr in the West Riding of Yorkshire. "It was once the residence of the family of Metham, of whose spacious and handsome mansion considerable remains existed some years since." 
Early History of the Meltzer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meltzer research. Another 34 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1276 and 1573 are included under the topic Early Meltzer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meltzer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Metham, Methem, Mettam, Mettham, Meetham, Meatham, Meethem, Methan and many more.
Early Notables of the Meltzer family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Meltzer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meltzer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meltzer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Meltzer, aged 14, who settled in America, in 1896
- Abram Isac Meltzer, aged 44, who settled in America from Moladstzna, in 1897
Meltzer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Meltzer, aged 8, who immigrated to the United States from Schlatt, in 1901
- Alte Meltzer, aged 9, who landed in America from Neschwis, Russia, in 1908
- Alvin Meltzer, aged 2, who immigrated to the United States from Gerresheim, Germany, in 1909
- Baselie Meltzer, aged 23, who immigrated to America from Rakow, Russia, in 1909
- Abram Meltzer, aged 15, who landed in America from Horodyce, Russia, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Meltzer (post 1700) +
- Al Meltzer (1928-2018), nicknamed "Big Al", was an American sportscaster from Syracuse, New York, inducted into the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, Big 5 Hall of Fame, the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame and Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia Hall of Fame
- Allan H. Meltzer (1928-2017), American economist and Allan H. Meltzer Professor of Political Economy at Carnegie Mellon University's Tepper School of Business and Institute for Politics and Strategy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Howard Meltzer (b. 1967), American Casting Society of America Award winning Casting Director
- Toby R. Meltzer (b. 1957), American plastic and reconstructive surgeon
- Milton Meltzer (1915-2009), American historian and author
- David Meltzer (b. 1937), American poet and musician
- Richard Meltzer (b. 1945), early American rock music critic
- Brad Meltzer (b. 1970), American political thriller novelist and non-fiction writer
- Samuel James Meltzer (1851-1920), Russian-born, American physiologist
- Karl-Heinz Meltzer, German fighter pilot and flying ace in the Luftwaffe, during World War II, credited with 74 aerial victories
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.