Melillo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Venice emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Melillo. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local surnames are also found. Local names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Melillo family lived at Mele, a town in the district of Genoa in northern Italy. However, the name coul have been a nickname based on the Italian word miele, which literally means honey.
Early Origins of the Melillo family
The surname Melillo was first found in Parma, one of the more prosperous cities at this early time. Research reveals that the Meli family lived in Parma during the early 1400's.
Early History of the Melillo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Melillo research. More information is included under the topic Early Melillo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Melillo Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Melillo include Mele, Meleguli, Melediri, Melii, and Meli and others.
Early Notables of the Melillo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Father Giovanni-Antonio Meli, an Agostinian monk who lived during the early 14th century. He was a respected intellectual, teacher, and author in Crema and Paris. Giovanni Melediri, a professor at the University of Bologna in 1579. A small town exists...
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Melillo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Melillo is the 12,177th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Melillo migration to the United States +
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Melillo:
Melillo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alberto Melillo, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1892
- Angelo Melillo, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States from Girosa, in 1894
Melillo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carmine Melillo, aged 2, who landed in America from Atripalda, in 1901
- A. Maria Melillo, aged 16, who immigrated to America from Castelgande, in 1903
- Angelina Melillo, aged 42, who settled in America from Eeora, Italy, in 1906
- Carmine Melillo, aged 23, who immigrated to America from Atrypalita, in 1906
- Carlo Melillo, aged 13, who settled in America from Avellino, Italy, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Melillo (post 1700) +
- Buddy Melillo (b. 1956), American professional football player
- Kevin Michael Melillo (b. 1982), American minor league baseball player
- David Andrew Melillo (b. 1988), American Drive-Thru Records recording singer/songwriter
- Oscar Donald "Ski" Melillo (1899-1963), American second baseman and coach in Major League Baseball
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm