Meisel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Meisel family
The surname Meisel was first found in Austria, where the family was anciently associated with the political and religious conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. The family founded numerous branches, many of which acquired manors and estates in surrounding regions, where they contributed to the prosperity of their society.
Early History of the Meisel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meisel research. Another 178 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1775, 1807, and 1853 are included under the topic Early Meisel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meisel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Meisel, Misel, Meissel, Meissl, Meisl, Misl, Maisel, Meysel, Maysel, Maysl, Meysl, Meyssel and many more.
Early Notables of the Meisel family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Meisel were Ernst Adolph von Meissel, who served as Lord Chamberlain to the Queen of Sweden. Karl Meisl (1775-1853) was a Viennese playwrite with...
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Meisel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Meisel is the 17,237th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Meisel migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meisel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Meisel, who landed in Philadelphia in 1782
- Peter Meisel, who landed in America in 1782 
Meisel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Conrad Meisel, aged 48, who arrived in Missouri in 1840 
- Henriette Meisel, who settled in Texas in 1846 aboard the ship "Anna"
- John Meisel, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1848
- John Henry Meisel, who landed in Philadelphia in 1860
|Contemporary Notables of the name Meisel (post 1700) ||+|
- David Dering Meisel (b. 1940), prominent American astronomer and professor at the New York State University
- Peter Henry Meisel (1867-1939), American Republican politician, Contractor; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 1924 
- Louis D. Meisel, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State Senate 14th District, 1948 
- Lee John Meisel, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State Senate 5th District, 1948 
- Lawrence J. Meisel, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 1964 
- James A. Meisel, American politician, Burgess of St. Marys, Pennsylvania, 1954-56 
- Friedrich Meisel (b. 1908), prominent Austrian high-school teacher and journal correspondent
- Edmund Meisel (1894-1930), Austria-born composer
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html