on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Meis was first found in Austria
, where the family was anciently associated with the political and religious conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. The family founded numerous branches, many of which acquired manors and estates in surrounding regions, where they contributed to the prosperity of their society.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Meisel, Misel, Meissel, Meissl, Meisl, Misl, Maisel, Meysel, Maysel, Maysl, Meysl, Meyssel and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meis research. Another 315 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1775, 1807, and 1853 are included under the topic Early Meis History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Meis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henrig Meis, who landed in New York in 1709
Meis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Meis, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1843
- Joh Heinr Meis, who landed in America in 1843
- Heinr W Meis, who arrived in America in 1843
- Henrick Meis, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1843
- Henrich Meis, aged 37, arrived in Missouri in 1848
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Meis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Meis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 September 2010 at 15:38.
on orders of $85 or more