100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Mehl family come from? What is the German Mehl family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mehl family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mehl family history?The surname Mehl is an occupational name for a painter, or more specifically a painter of stained glass, derived from the Old German "malen", and the Middle High German word "malen" which both meant "to paint."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mahler, Maler, Mahl, Mahle, Male, Mal, Maller, Maehler, Mehler, Mailer, Mayler, Maylor, Mailor and many more.
First found in Wurtemberg and Bavaria, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Mahler became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mehl research. Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1723 and 1807 are included under the topic Early Mehl History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mehl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mehl Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Friederich Mehl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Johann Nicklaus Mehl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Barbara Mehl, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1762
- Samuel Mehl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765
Mehl Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Christian Mehl, who landed in Missouri in 1844
- Carl Mehl, aged 27, landed in Missouri in 1848
- John Mehl, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Konr Mehl, who arrived in America in 1852
- Joh Mehl, who landed in America in 1853
Mehl Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edward Mehl, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Berlin, Germany, in 1907
- Adolf Mehl, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Krakan, Austria, in 1907
- Adolf Mehl, aged 18, who landed in America from Reisweiler, Germany, in 1907
- Ernst Mehl, aged 27, who emigrated to America from Stuttgart, Germany, in 1910
- Emma Mehl, aged 32, who landed in America from Stuttgart, Germany, in 1911
- Lance Mehl (b. 1958), American professional NFL football player
- Gabriele Mehl (b. 1967), German Olympic bronzer medalist rower at the 1992 Olympics
- Waldemar Mehl (1914-1996), German U-boat commander, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Eberhard Mehl (1935-2002), German Olympic bronze medalist fencer at the 1960 Summer Olympics
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Mehl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mehl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 March 2015 at 16:32.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!