Medeiros History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Medeiros is derived from the Portuguese word, "medeiro," meaning "a place where shocks of maize are gathered." There are several places in Portugal that bear that name, and, in turn, people assumed that name in a number of places in the country.
Early Origins of the Medeiros family
The surname Medeiros was first found in one of the places named Medeiros in Portugal.
Early History of the Medeiros family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Medeiros research. Another 33 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 124 and 1245 are included under the topic Early Medeiros History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Medeiros Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Medeiros, Madeiros, Medas. and others.
Early Notables of the Medeiros family (pre 1700)
Prominent members of the family include Martim Sanches das Medas, who lived in the mid-13th century. He is known to have fought under King Afonso III at the Battle of Porto in 1245...
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Medeiros Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Medeiros is the 1,753rd most popular surname with an estimated 17,409 people with that name.  However, in Canada, the name Medeiros is ranked the 853rd most popular surname with an estimated 6,256 people with that name. 
Medeiros migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Medeiros Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Julio F. Medeiros, who was naturalized in Ashtabula Co. Ohio sometime between 1875 and 1906
- Marianno Medeiros, who settled in New York, NY in 1893
- D. Elvira Amaral Medeiros, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1895
Medeiros Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Medeiros, aged 5, who immigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, Portugal, in 1900
- Antonio Medeiros, aged 0, who settled in America from St Michaels, in 1902
- Adelina Medeiros, aged 10, who immigrated to America from St Michaels, Azores, in 1902
- Antonio Bernardo Medeiros, aged 29, who landed in America from St. Michaels, in 1906
- Arsilia Medeiros, aged 10, who landed in America from Povacao, St. Michael's, Azores, Portugal, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Medeiros (post 1700) +
- Humberto Sousa Medeiros (1915-1983), Portuguese-born, American Cardinal, Archbishop of Boston from 1970 until his death in 1983
- Glenn Medeiros (b. 1970), Hawaiian singer and songwriter
- William R. Medeiros, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1948 
- Monica Medeiros, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 2008 
- Maria de Medeiros (b. 1965), Portuguese actress and director
- Iuri José Picanço Medeiros (b. 1994), Portuguese footballer
- Lionel Jesus Gonçalves Medeiros (b. 1977), Portuguese retired footballer
- Leonardo Wilson de Medeiros (b. 1964), Brazilian actor
- Leandro Ferreira Medeiros (b. 1981), Brazilian defensive midfielder
- Bruno Medeiros Grassi (b. 1987), Brazilian professional footballer
Related Stories +