McBrayer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the McBrayer family
The surname McBrayer was first found in Dumfriesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Dhùn Phris), a Southern area, bordering on England that today forms part of the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, where they held a family seat as one of the prominent Border Clans defending the Scottish border in the west marches. They are said to have the longest and most honorable connection with border life.
Early History of the McBrayer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McBrayer research. Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1384, 1469, 1473, 1502, 1503, 1504, 1548, 1579, 1590, and 1630 are included under the topic Early McBrayer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McBrayer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacBriar, McBriar, MacBrair, McBrair, MacBraire, McBraire, MacBriare, McBriare, Briar, Brier, Brire, Briars, Briers, Brires, Braires, Brares, Braire, Brair, MacBrare, McBrare, Brare, MacBrar, McBrar, Brar, MacBrayr, McBrayr, MacBrayre, McBrayre, McBryar, MacBryar, MacBray, McBray, MacBrire, McBrire, MacBrier and many more.
Early Notables of the McBrayer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McBrayer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McBrayer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McBrayer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Evans McBrayer, aged 33, originally from Shelby, N.C., arrived in New York in 1916 aboard the ship "Advance" from Cristobal, Canal Zone 
Contemporary Notables of the name McBrayer (post 1700) +
- Walter Terry McBrayer (1937-2020), American lobbyist, attorney, and Democratic politician
- William David McBrayer (b. 1950), American film and television producer and writer
- Odell Lavon McBrayer (1930-2008), American attorney, and Republican candidate
- Jody McBrayer (b. 1970), American singer/songwriter
- Jack McBrayer (b. 1973), American Emmy nominated actor and comedian
- Sandra McBrayer, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996 
- John M. McBrayer, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 9th District, 1854-55 
- James A. McBrayer, American politician, Delegate to Kentucky secession convention, 1861 
Related Stories +
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJH4-PJ9 : 6 December 2014), Charles Evans McBrayer, 20 Dec 1916; citing departure port Cristobal, Canal Zone, arrival port New York, ship name Advance, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html