The surname Mazzotta is a common occupational
name for a person who was a toolmaker. The occupational surname Mazza is derived from the Italian word mazza, which is translated as a club, hammer, mace or staff of office. The name also exists as one of a number of compound names such as Mazzacane, Mazzagalli, Mazzapica, or Mazzamici.
Early Origins of the Mazzotta family
The surname Mazzotta was first found in Reggio-Emilia, where records can be traced to Lazzaro Mazzoli, Councillor of the State in 1186. Other early records show Blasco Mazza, who was in the Cavalry in Messina in 1287, and later became the Baron
of Sellia. The Mazza family of Modena entered into the ranks of nobility in 1306.
Mazzotta Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations
. The recorded spellings of Mazzotta include Mazza, Mazzetto, Mazzinghi, Mazzoleni, Mazzarelli, Mazzetti, Mazzino, Mazzini, Mazzola, Mazzoli, Mazzuoli, Mazzoletti, Mazzotta, Mazzotti, Mazzone, Mazzoni, Mazzali, Mazzanti and many more.
Early Notables of the Mazzotta family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Filippo Mazzola, a famous painter from Parma during the late 15th century. His works can be seen in Padua, Parma, Strasburg, Naples, London, Venice
, and Massachusetts. Guido Mazzoni was a famous sculptor from Modena around 1450. He is also known as "Il Paganino," and... Another 220 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mazzotta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mazzotta family to the New World and Oceana
Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Mazzotta were
Mazzotta Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carmelo Mazzotta, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States from Sortino, Italy, in 1907
- Antonio Mazzotta, aged 31, who settled in America from Sortino, Italy, in 1908
- Domenico Mazzotta, aged 21, who landed in America from Laureana, Italy, in 1909
- Fiancesco Mazzotta, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Filadelfia, Italy, in 1910
- Antonio Mazzotta, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States from Lago, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Mazzotta (post 1700)
- Vincent Mazzotta, American CEO and Editor In Chief of Catwalk, Inc. a citywide magazine published throughout the United States
- Antonio Mazzotta (b. 1989), Italian football defender
- Ben Mazzotta, Canadian film and television director