The surname Mazzilli is a common occupational
name for a person who was a toolmaker. The occupational surname Mazza is derived from the Italian word mazza, which is translated as a club, hammer, mace or staff of office. The name also exists as one of a number of compound names such as Mazzacane, Mazzagalli, Mazzapica, or Mazzamici.
Early Origins of the Mazzilli family
The surname Mazzilli was first found in Reggio-Emilia, where records can be traced to Lazzaro Mazzoli, Councillor of the State in 1186. Other early records show Blasco Mazza, who was in the Cavalry in Messina in 1287, and later became the Baron
of Sellia. The Mazza family of Modena entered into the ranks of nobility in 1306.
Mazzilli Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations
in the name Mazzilli include Mazza, Mazzetto, Mazzinghi, Mazzoleni, Mazzarelli, Mazzetti, Mazzino, Mazzini, Mazzola, Mazzoli, Mazzuoli, Mazzoletti, Mazzotta, Mazzotti, Mazzone, Mazzoni, Mazzali, Mazzanti and many more.
Early Notables of the Mazzilli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Filippo Mazzola, a famous painter from Parma during the late 15th century. His works can be seen in Padua, Parma, Strasburg, Naples, London, Venice
, and Massachusetts. Guido Mazzoni was a famous sculptor from Modena around 1450. He is also known as "Il Paganino," and... Another 220 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mazzilli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mazzilli family to the New World and Oceana
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Mazzilli:
Mazzilli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Mazzilli, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Montemurro, Italy, in 1904
- Giovanni Mazzilli, aged 39, who landed in America from Biccari, Italy, in 1909
- Luisa Mazzilli, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Faiano, Salerno, in 1912
- Alfonso Mazzilli, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States from Corato, Italy, in 1913
- Angela Mazzilli, aged 20, who settled in America from Gravina, Italy, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Mazzilli (post 1700)
- Lee Louis Mazzilli (b. 1955), American former Major League Baseball player, coach, and manager, born in Brooklyn
- Frank Mazzilli (b. 1962), Italian-born, Canadian politician in Ontario
- Pascoal Ranieri Mazzilli (1910-1975), Brazilian politician, President of Brazil in 1961 and 1964
- Agustin Mazzilli, Argentine field hockey player at the 2012 Summer Olympics