on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Mazzei is a common occupational
name for a person who was a toolmaker. The occupational surname Mazza is derived from the Italian word mazza, which is translated as a club, hammer, mace or staff of office. The name also exists as one of a number of compound names such as Mazzacane, Mazzagalli, Mazzapica, or Mazzamici.
The surname Mazzei was first found in Reggio-Emilia, where records can be traced to Lazzaro Mazzoli, Councillor of the State in 1186. Other early records show Blasco Mazza, who was in the Cavalry in Messina in 1287, and later became the Baron
of Sellia. The Mazza family of Modena entered into the ranks of nobility in 1306.
There are many variations of most of those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. Some of these come from regional differences, like the tradition of ending northern names in "o" and southern names in "i". Others come from inaccuracies in the recording process, which were extremely common in the eras before dictionaries standardized spelling. Some of the spelling variations of Mazzei are Mazza, Mazzetto, Mazzinghi, Mazzoleni, Mazzarelli, Mazzetti, Mazzino, Mazzini, Mazzola, Mazzoli, Mazzuoli, Mazzoletti, Mazzotta, Mazzotti, Mazzone, Mazzoni, Mazzali, Mazzanti and many more.
Another 527 words (38 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mazzei Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In the immigration and passenger lists a number of early immigrants bearing the name Mazzei were found:
Mazzei Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amalia Mazzei, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States from Barcellona Italy, in 1906
- Alberta Mazzei, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Casalguidi, Italy, in 1910
- Carmine Mazzei, aged 48, who landed in America from Cairano, Italy, in 1910
- Alfonso Mazzei, aged 33, who landed in America from Forino, Italy, in 1911
- Angelo Mazzei, aged 18, who landed in America from Tagliacozzo, Italy, in 1912
- Frank Mazzei (1912-1977), American Democratic member of the Pennsylvania State Senate (1967-1975)
- Mike Mazzei (b. 1965), American politician, Oklahoma State Senator (2004-), Assistant Majority Floor Leader of the Oklahoma Senate
- Frank Mazzei (1912-1977), American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1956, 1960, 1964; Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 43rd District, 1967-76
- Philip Mazzei (1730-1816), Italian physician and a promoter of liberty, close friend of Thomas Jefferson and was an agent to purchase arms for Virginia during the American Revolutionary War
- Júlio Mazzei, Brazilian soccer coach
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, Goffredo. Enciclopedia araldico cavalleresca Prontuario nobiliare. Pisa: Presso La Direzione Del Giorale Araldica , 1878. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, G.B. Dizionario Storico-Blasonico Delle Famiglie Nobili e Notabili Italiane 3 volumes. Pisa. Print.
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Mazzei Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mazzei Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 February 2016 at 13:28.
on orders of $85 or more