The surname Mazzarella is a common occupational
name for a person who was a toolmaker. The occupational surname Mazza is derived from the Italian word mazza, which is translated as a club, hammer, mace or staff of office. The name also exists as one of a number of compound names such as Mazzacane, Mazzagalli, Mazzapica, or Mazzamici.
Early Origins of the Mazzarella family
The surname Mazzarella was first found in Reggio-Emilia, where records can be traced to Lazzaro Mazzoli, Councillor of the State in 1186. Other early records show Blasco Mazza, who was in the Cavalry in Messina in 1287, and later became the Baron
of Sellia. The Mazza family of Modena entered into the ranks of nobility in 1306.
Mazzarella Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations
were the unsurprising result. The variations of Mazzarella include Mazza, Mazzetto, Mazzinghi, Mazzoleni, Mazzarelli, Mazzetti, Mazzino, Mazzini, Mazzola, Mazzoli, Mazzuoli, Mazzoletti, Mazzotta, Mazzotti, Mazzone, Mazzoni, Mazzali, Mazzanti and many more.
Early Notables of the Mazzarella family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Filippo Mazzola, a famous painter from Parma during the late 15th century. His works can be seen in Padua, Parma, Strasburg, Naples, London, Venice
, and Massachusetts. Guido Mazzoni was a famous sculptor from Modena around 1450. He is also known as "Il Paganino," and... Another 220 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mazzarella Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mazzarella family to the New World and Oceana
In the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Mazzarella
Mazzarella Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfredo Mazzarella, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States from Anacapri, Napoli, in 1909
- Alfredo Mazzarella, aged 23, who landed in America from S. Andrea/Vallepuno, Italy, in 1911
- Adelaide Mazzarella, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Acri, Italy, in 1912
- Alfonso Mazzarella, aged 27, who landed in America from S. Mauro, Italy, in 1913
- Andrea Mazzarella, aged 56, who landed in America from Mistretta, Sicily, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Mazzarella (post 1700)
- John L. Mazzarella (b. 1967), American producer
- Dean J. Mazzarella, American politician, Mayor of Leominster, Massachusetts, 1999-2011 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Marcello Mazzarella, Italian actor