100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Mayfield family come from? What is the English Mayfield family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mayfield family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mayfield family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mayfield, Mayville, Mayfeld, Maifield, Mayfeild and many more.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1210 when Philip Mayfield or Mayville was recorded with estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mayfield research. Another 181 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1642, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Mayfield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mayfield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mayfield Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abigail Mayfield who arrived in Virginia in 1677
- Jaen Mayfield who settled in Barbados in 1697
Mayfield Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Mayfield who arrived in America in 1774
Mayfield Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Mayfield who settled in Maryland in 1813
- Thomas Mayfield, aged 33, arrived in Maryland in 1813
- John G Mayfield, who landed in New York in 1840
- V Mayfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W Mayfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Mayfield Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Mayfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
- Rebecca Mayfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
- Fanny Mayfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
- James Mayfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
- John Mayfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
Mayfield Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Mayfield arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- Thomas Mayfield arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Armstrong" in 1865
- Mary Mayfield arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Armstrong" in 1865
- Irvin Mayfield (b. 1977), American jazz musician
- Curtis Mayfield (1942-1999), American soul, funk and R&B singer
- James Jefferson Mayfield (1861-1927), American judge and code commissioner
- Corporal Melvin Mayfield (1919-1990), American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Percy Mayfield (1920-1984), American songwriter, best known for his songs "Hit the Road Jack" and "Please Send Me Someone to Love"
- Jeremy Allen Mayfield (b. 1969), former American NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series driver
- Earle Bradford Mayfield (1881-1964), lawyer and United States senator
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Mayfield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mayfield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 11:17.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!