The prestigious surname Mayet comes from the region of Provence, in France. The surname Mayet is of local
origin, and is therefore a type of hereditary surname. Local
surnames are derived either from an already existing place-name or from a local feature of the geography.
Early Origins of the Mayet family
The surname Mayet was first found in Provence, where the family was established in early times.
Early History of the Mayet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mayet research.Another 166 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1662, 1696, and 1815 are included under the topic Early Mayet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mayet Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Major, Majour, Majou, Majoux, Mayor, Mayou, Mayoux, Mayoud, Mayaud, Mayoult, Mayot, Mayet, Mayer, Mayeu, Majoral, Majorel and many more.
Early Notables of the Mayet family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mayet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mayet family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mayet Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Michel Mayet, who married Catherine Doyon in Château-Richer, Quebec in 1746
Contemporary Notables of the name Mayet (post 1700)
- Jean-François Mayet (b. 1940), French politician, member of the Senate of France
- Valéry Mayet (1839-1909), French entomologist, professor of zoology in Montpellier at the French National School of Agriculture
- Carl "Karl" Mayet (1810-1868), German chess master
- Muhammed Mayet (b. 1998), South African first-class cricketer for Gauteng in the 2017–18 Sunfoil 3-Day Cup