Mauri History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Mauri came from the personal name Mauro, which is itself derived from the Latin name Maurus.
Early Origins of the Mauri family
The surname Mauri was first found in Milan (Italian: Milano, Milanese: Milan), the second-most populous city in Italy and the capital of Lombardy with Gandolfo Maurello, who moved his family to Sicily around 1205.
Early History of the Mauri family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mauri research. More information is included under the topic Early Mauri History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mauri Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of Mauri include Mauro, Mauri, Maur, Maura, De Mauro, Di Mauro, Maurich, Mauric, Maurovic, Lo Mauro, Maurello, Mauricio, Maurigi, Mauruzi, Mauriello, Maurelli, Maurel, Maurino, Maurini and many more.
Early Notables of the Mauri family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Lico Francesco Mauro, a famous mathematician during the late 15th century from Messina. Nicol Mauruzi was a very famous military Captain who was in command of the Florentine troupes and achieved the greatest victories of the 15th century. Mauro Mauri was a renowned author...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mauri Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mauri migration to the United States +
Early records show that people bearing the name Mauri arrived in North America quite early:
Mauri Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Juan Mauri, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803 
Mauri Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Mauri, aged 17, who immigrated to America from Callecorsa, in 1902
- Alessandro Mauri, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1905
- Alfred Mauri, who immigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Elsabetta Mauri, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Fabristen, Ancona, in 1907
- Carlo Mauri, aged 51, who landed in America from Civo, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Mauri (post 1700) +
- Carlo Mauri (1930-1982), Italian mountaineer and explorer
- Stefano Mauri (b. 1980), Italian football midfielder
- Cristian Roig Mauri (b. 1977), Andorran professional football player
- Carolina Mauri (b. 1969), Costa Rican freestyle swimmer
- Melcior Mauri Prat (b. 1966), retired Spanish (Catalan) professional cyclist
- Mauri Rose (1906-1981), American three time winner of the Indianapolis 500
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)