Early Origins of the Matlack family
The surname Matlack was first found in Derbyshire
, at Matlock, a parish, in the union of Bakewell, hundred
of Wirksworth. "This place, which was formerly called Mesterford or Metesford, is equally celebrated for the beauty of its scenery, and the purity of its medicinal springs, and consists at present of the village and the baths, nearly a mile and a half distant from each other. The waters were first applied to medicinal uses about the end of the seventeenth century." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Another source claims the early spellings of the place name differently as in Meslach CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8) which was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 and later as Matlac in 1196. In this case, the place name literally meant "oak-tree where meetings are held," from the Old English "maethel" + "ac." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
Early History of the Matlack family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Matlack research.Another 294 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 108 and 1086 are included under the topic Early Matlack History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matlack Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Martlock, Matlock, Matlack, Marlott and others.
Early Notables of the Matlack family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Matlack Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Matlack family to Ireland
Some of the Matlack family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Matlack family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Matlack Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Matlack, who arrived in New Jersey in 1677 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Matlack Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- D. J. Matlack, aged 59, who landed in America, in 1893
- L.B. Matlack, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Mary Matlack, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1896
Matlack Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J. C. Matlack, aged 15, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Paul Matlack, aged 29, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- E. S. Matlack, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1908
- Albert F. Matlack, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Ellward Matlack, aged 13, who landed in America, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Matlack (post 1700)
- White Matlack (1745-1824), American New York Quaker and abolitionist
- Tom Matlack, American entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and author
- Timothy Matlack (1730-1829), American merchant, surveyor, architect, statesman, and patriot in the American Revolution
- James Matlack (1775-1840), American Congressional Representative from New Jersey
- Jon Matlack (b. 1950), former Major League Baseball pitcher