Matingley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Matingley family
The surname Matingley was first found in Hampshire on the south coast of England at Mattingley, a chapelry, in the parish of Heckfield, union of Hartley-Wintney, hundred of Holdshott.  The place name dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was listed as Matingelege.  Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Heckfield, and the village of Mattingley, Hugh de Port and Alfsi son of Brictsi, held from the King, Norman nobles. Literally the place name means "woodland clearing of the family or followers of a man called Matta," from the Old English personal name + "-inga" + "leah."  One of the first records of the name was Stephen de Madingel', de Matingel' in 1206 in Surrey and Hampshire. Peter Mattingeley was listed in 1249. 
Early History of the Matingley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Matingley research. Another 52 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1206 and 1249 are included under the topic Early Matingley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matingley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mattingly, Mattingley, Maddingly, Madingly, Matingly and many more.
Early Notables of the Matingley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Matingley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matingley migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Matingley Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Matingley, who arrived in Ontario in 1871
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)