Marko History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Marko comes from Austria, and is believed to be of two origins. Firstly, the name is derived from the personal names "Machtolf" and "Maginold," and indicates "son of Machtolf or Maginold." Alternatively, the name is derived from "markolf," meaning "jay bird;" in this instance, the name would have been originally bestowed as a nickname on someone possessing the characteristics of a jay bird, eventually becoming a surname.
Early Origins of the Marko family
The surname Marko was first found in the region of Bodensee, where the name is believed to have first emerged. The earliest recorded bearers of the name were Cuonr, and Hainr, germani cognomine Mahtolf, who lived in Eigeltingen, Stockach in 1296. The young Marko family was instrumental during this early period, contributing greatly to the development of medieval Austrian society.
Early History of the Marko family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marko research. Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1468, 1550, 1598, 1791, and 1860 are included under the topic Early Marko History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marko Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Marko, Markolf, Macholt, Mahtolf, Machtolf and many more.
Early Notables of the Marko family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Marko Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marko migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Marko Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Marko, who settled in Philadelphia in 1846
- Anna Marko, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Csecseko, Hungary, in 1893
- Andras Marko, aged 45, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
Marko Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adam Marko, aged 35, who landed in America from Antalfalva, Hungary, in 1907
- Andruch Marko, aged 16, who settled in America from Loroco, Austria, in 1907
- Alzbeta Marko, aged 16, who landed in America from Turaluka, Hungary, in 1907
- Alexa Marko, aged 18, who immigrated to America from Polata, Hungary, in 1909
- Anna Marko, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Malnow, Austria, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Marko (post 1700) +
- Dr. Helmut Marko (b. 1943), Austrian advisor to the Red Bull Racing Formula One Team and a former racing driver
- Rupert Marko (b. 1963), retired Austrian football player and a coach
- Karol Marko (b. 1966), Slovak football manager and former player
- Katherine McGlade Marko, author of history books for children
- Marko Elsner (1960-2020), Slovenian footballer who played as a defender
- Marko Marinovic (b. 1983), Serbian professional basketball player
- Marko Raso (b. 1989), Croatian football player
- Marko Rašo (b. 1989), Croatian football player
- Marko DeSantis (b. 1972), American music professional
- Marko Attila Hoare (b. 1972), Research Fellow at the Faculty of History, University of Cambridge
Related Stories +