Marchetti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Marchetti can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Venice. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most common type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Marchetti came from the personal name Marchino, which is derived from the Latin name Marcus.
Early Origins of the Marchetti family
The surname Marchetti was first found in Crema.
Important Dates for the Marchetti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marchetti research. More information is included under the topic Early Marchetti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marchetti Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Marchetti include DeMarchi, DeMarchis, Marcantoni, Marcantonio, Marcat, Marcato, Marchel, Marchelli, Marchello, Marchet, Marchetiello, Marchetta, Marchetti, Marchi, Marchin, Marchini, Marchiol, Marchioli, Marchitelli, Marchitiello, Marchitto, Marco, Marcocci, Marcoccio, Marcoleoni, Marcolin, Marcolini, Marcolla, Marcolongo, Marcon, Marconati, Marconcini, Marcone, Marconi, Marcovic, Marcovich, Marcoz, Marcozzi, Marcucci, Marcuccio, Marcuzzi, Marcuzzo and many more.
Early Notables of the Marchetti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Girolamo Marchesi, a painter born in Cotignola around the year 1471. He was a painter and he was famous for the portraits which he painted of the famous people of his day. Among those he painted were Gaston Felix, a famous French general, Massamiliano Sforza...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Marchetti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marchetti migration to the United States
Immigrants bearing the name Marchetti or a variant listed above include:
Typical Marchetti Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Marchetti Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frank Marchetti, who arrived in Mississippi in 1875 
- Joseph Marchetti, who landed in Mississippi in 1875 
Marchetti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alberto Marchetti, aged 15, who immigrated to the United States from Maensa, Italy, in 1907
- Alessandro Marchetti, aged 18, who landed in America from Maenza, Italy, in 1909
- Alberto Marchetti, aged 16, who landed in America from Capannori, Italy, in 1910
- Adolfo Marchetti, aged 24, who immigrated to America from Fossombrone, Italy, in 1910
- Vincenso Marchetti, who arrived in Texas in 1911 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Marchetti (post 1700)
- Victor Marchetti (b. 1930), American intelligence agent and former special assistant to the Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- Gino Marchetti (b. 1927), American professional NFL football player who played from 1952 to 1966
- Louis Marchetti (1920-1992), Italian illustrator and portrait painter
- Filippo Marchetti (1831-1902), Italian opera composer
- Federico Marchetti (b. 1983), Italian international football goalkeeper
- Elio Marchetti (b. 1974), Italian race car driver and motorcycle racer
- Maria Assunta Caterina Marchetti (1871-1948), Italian beatified of Roman Catholic church
- Alessandro Marchetti (1884-1966), Italian aircraft engineer and airplane designer, best known for his Savoia-Marchetti SM.79, a World War II bomber aircraft
- Alberto Marchetti (b. 1954), Italian former professional footballer who played from 1973 to 1990 and managed Novara in 1999
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)