Marasco History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Marasco is a patronymic surname, created from the personal name Mauro, which is itself derived from the Latin name Maurus. Patronymic surnames were created from the name of the bearer's father or relative, and gradually during the Middle Ages, these names became fixed hereditary surnames.
Early Origins of the Marasco family
The surname Marasco was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), around the year 1179.
Early History of the Marasco family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marasco research. Another 30 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1050, 1375, 1639, 1636, 1677 and 1735 are included under the topic Early Marasco History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marasco Spelling Variations
Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms in comparison with other European surnames because they reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each of which has its distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the most standard Italian surname suffix is "I", whereas in Southern Italy the most typical surname suffix is "O". Sardinian is very different from other forms of Italian and in fact, it is considered to be its own distinct language. Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes, church officials, and the bearers of names, spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. As a consequence of the major changes in the Italian language and in the local spellings of Italian surnames that occurred over the course of history, there are numerous variations for the surname Marasco. These spelling variations include Moro, Moras, Morasco, Morassi, Morasso, Morassut, Morassutti, Moratelli, Morati, Moratti, Moratto, Morazzi, Morero, Moreschi, Moraschi, Moresi, Moret, Moretti, Moretto, Morin, Morini, Morino, Moriotti, Moriotto, Morozzi, Morisco, Moresco, Morisi, Mori, Morimanno, Moroni, Morucchio, Morucci and many more.
Early Notables of the Marasco family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giacomo Morattinni who compiled volumes of statutory laws and legislation made from the year 1050 to 1375 in the region of Forli and Siena. Later, in the 17th century, Antonio Morelli was a member...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Marasco Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marasco migration to the United States +
The records on immigrants and ships' passengers show a number of people bearing the name Marasco:
Marasco Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mike Marasco, who arrived in Arkansas in 1890 
Contemporary Notables of the name Marasco (post 1700) +
- Robert Marasco (1936-1998), American horror writer
- Mike Marasco, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1950 
- Maria Marasco, American Republican politician, Candidate for Massachusetts State Senate Second Essex & Middlesex District, 2002 
- Carmine J. Marasco, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1915, 1935-37, 1939-41; Member of New York State Senate 4th District, 1941-44 
- Antonio Marasco (b. 1970), former Italian professional footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html