100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Polish Makowski family come from? What is the Polish Makowski family crest and coat of arms? When did the Makowski family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Makowski family history?The surname Makowski is derived from the Polish root word "mak" meaning "poppy."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Makowski, Makosiej, Makowieski, Makulski, Makocki, Mekowski, Mikowski and many more.
First found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. The surname was first found in Krakow.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Makowski research. Another 324 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1496, 1610, 1623, 1644, 1662, and 1683 are included under the topic Early Makowski History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Makowski Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Makowski Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Friedrich William Makowski who emigrated to Texas in 1890 at the age of 24
- Friedrich William Makowski, who arrived in America in 1890
- Adam Makowski, aged 35, who landed in America from Plock, Russia, in 1893
Makowski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alexander Makowski, aged 21, who landed in America from Ginawise, Russia, in 1908
- Adolf Makowski, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Paniewko, Russia, in 1909
- Jozef Makowski who sailed to Baltimore in 1909
- Alexandra Makowski, aged 6, who settled in America from Borkowo, Russia, in 1910
- Abram Makowski, aged 19, who emigrated to America from Hohenstein, Germany, in 1911
Makowski Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Domka Makowski who arrived in Quebec, Canada in 1897
- Domka Makowski, who landed in Quebec in 1897
- Stanley M. "Stan" Makowski (1923-1981), American politician, Mayor of Buffalo, New York (1974 to 1977)
- Gregory "Greg" Makowski (b. 1956), retired U.S. soccer defender
- Tomasz Artur Makowski (b. 1970), Director General of the National Library of Poland
- Tadeusz Makowski (1882-1932), Polish Post-Impressionism and Cubism painter
- Konstanty Makowski, Polish pilot who died in 1919 at the end of World War I
- Julian Edmund Makowski (1875-1959), distinguished Polish citizen
- Franciszek Makowski (b. 1898), member of the Polish Air Force
- Uladzimir Makowski (b. 1977), Belarusian professional footballer
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Co., 1964. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Brückner, Aleksander. etymologiczy jezyka polskiego (Etymologica Dictionary of the Polish Language). Warszaga: Wiedza Powszechra, 1970. Print.
- Niesiecki, Kasper. Herbarz Polski Polish Armorial, 10 Volumes. Lipsk: Breitkopf & Härtel, 1839. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Co., 1976. Print.
- Beider, Alexander. A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from the Kingdom of Poland. Teaneck, New Jersey: Avotaynu, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-9626373-9-4).
- Hollowak, Thomas L. Polish Heads of Household in Maryland: An Index to the 1910 Census. Wesminister MD: Family Line Publications, 1990. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Makowski Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Makowski Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 June 2015 at 19:31.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!