The distinguished surname Maffucci can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Piedmont
. The most common type of family name found in the region of Piedmont
is the patronymic
surname, derived from the father's given name. The surname Maffucci came from the personal name
Matteo, which is the Italian form of the English Matthew. Ultimately, the name was inIn Hebrew
, and meant "gift of God." This name was adopted into Latin as both Matthias and Matthaeus. During the medieval era, the personal name Matteo became popular as people often named their children after popular saints in the hopes that the child would enjoy that saint's patronage in later life.
Early Origins of the Maffucci family
The surname Maffucci was first found in Abruzzi, a region in central Italy. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Maffucci family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maffucci research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1500, 1188, 1586, 1643, 1643, 1753, 1779, 1792, 1832, 1833, 1480, 1501, 1577, 1640, 1694, 1350, 1675, 1672, 1750 and 1863 are included under the topic Early Maffucci History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maffucci Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Mattei, Mattedi, Matteini, Matteis, Matteo, Matteolli, Matteoni, Matteotti, Matteucci, Matteuzzi, Mattussi, Mattuzzi, Mattouzzi, Mattevi, Mattia, Mattiassi, Mattiato, Mattiazzi, Mattiello, Mattioni, Mattiuzzi, Mattissi, Mattucci, Matussi and many more.
Early Notables of the Maffucci family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Mattiolo Mattioli (died 1480), Italian author, professor of philosophy and medicine; Pietro Andrea Mattioli (1501-1577), Italian herbalist; and Ercole Antonio Mattioli (1640-1694), Italian minister; Lapo Mazzei, a humanist and public official in Prato in 1350. Luigi Mattei (died 1675) was an Italian military General... Another 114 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Maffucci Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Maffucci family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maffucci Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angela Maffucci, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Calitri, in 1893
Maffucci Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Aliva Maffucci, aged 29, who landed in America from Roscioli, Italy, in 1904
- Angela Rosa Maffucci, aged 55, who emigrated to the United States from Cabitu, in 1904
- Angelomaria Maffucci, aged 25, who landed in America from Calitri, in 1904
- Angela Maffucci, aged 50, who settled in America from Calitri, Italy, in 1910
- Angelantonio Maffucci, aged 46, who landed in America from Avellino, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Maffucci (post 1700)
- Jason Maffucci, American musician, founding member of Just Surrender, a rock band from Dover Plains, New York
- Virginia E. Maffucci, American model, Miss Massachusetts (1956)
- Matteo Maffucci (b. 1978), Italian musician, half of the pop rock duo Zero Assoluto
- Angelo Maria Maffucci (1847-1903), Italian pathologist, eponym of Maffucci syndrome
Maffucci Family Crest Products