Early Origins of the Maffei family
The surname Maffei was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany
, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Maffei family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maffei research.Another 111 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1030, 1549, 1570, 1606, 1824, 1514, 1553, 1549, 1521, 1583, 1533, 1603, 1605, 1660, 1662, 1730, 1653, 1716, 1675 and 1755 are included under the topic Early Maffei History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maffei Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Maffei, Maffetti, Maffi, Maffioretti, Maffetto, Maffettini and many more.
Early Notables of the Maffei family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bernardino Maffei (1514-1553), an Italian archbishop and cardinal, Bishop of Massa Marittima, then Archbishop of Chieti, and on 8 April 1549; Marcantonio Maffei (1521-1583), an Italian Roman Catholic bishop and cardinal; Giovanni Pietro Maffei (1533-1603), also anglicized as John Peter Maffei, an Italian Jesuit... Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Maffei Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Maffei family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maffei Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Guiseppe Maffei, who arrived in New York in 1907
Contemporary Notables of the name Maffei (post 1700)
- Leonard Maffei, born Leonardo E. Marzigliano, and American champion bicycle racer in the United States during the 1930s
- Daniel Benjamin "Dan" Maffei (b. 1968), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York (2013-2015)
- Paolo Maffei (1926-2009), Italian astrophysicist and science writer
- Michele Maffei (b. 1946), Italian gold and three-time silver medalist fencer
- Chiarina Maffei (1814-1886), born Elena Clara Antonia Carrara Spinelli, an Italian woman of letters and backer of the Risorgimento
- Andrea Maffei (1798-1885), Italian poet, translator and librettist
- Joseph Anton von Maffei (1790-1870), German industrialist and pioneering railwayman who founded the locomotive firm of J. A. Maffei in the English Garden in Munich