MacGruder History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The MacGruder surname comes from the Gaelic patronymic name Mac Grudaire, meaning "son of the brewer."
Early Origins of the MacGruder family
The surname MacGruder was first found in south Perthshire, around Glenartney. The earliest record of the name is of Gilawnane McCrouder, who was a witness to a charter in 1447. Duncan M'Rudder was a witness in Perth in 1547. Thomas McGrowder was a witness in Lovat in 1550. Alexander M'Gruder held the parsonage of Lochals in 1550.
Early History of the MacGruder family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacGruder research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1499, 1537, 1547, 1550, and 1613 are included under the topic Early MacGruder History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacGruder Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magruder, Macgruther, McGruther, Magruther, McGruar, Macgruar, MacGruer, MacGruder, MacGrudder, Grewar and many more.
Early Notables of the MacGruder family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early MacGruder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacGruder migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
MacGruder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alexander Macgruder, who arrived in Maryland in 1651 
- John Macgruder, who landed in Maryland in 1651 
Contemporary Notables of the name MacGruder (post 1700) +
- J. H. MacGruder, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1920 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html