Luongo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Luongo originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, the nickname type of surname is also frequently found. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The surname Luongo came from a person who was tall and thin. The surname Longo is derived from the Old Italian word longo, which means long, tall.
Early Origins of the Luongo family
The surname Luongo was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy, where earliest records date to the 10th century, when Giovan-Jacopo, Bonaventura, and Filippo Longhi moved out of the city.
Early History of the Luongo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Luongo research. More information is included under the topic Early Luongo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Luongo Spelling Variations
There are many variations of most of those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. Some of these come from regional differences, like the tradition of ending northern names in "o" and southern names in "i". Others come from inaccuracies in the recording process, which were extremely common in the eras before dictionaries standardized spelling. Some of the spelling variations of Luongo are Longo, Longhi, Luongo, Lungo, Lunghi, Slongo, Del Lungo, Della Lunga, Del Luongo, Longhini, Longhin, Lunghini, Lungherini, Longhetti, Lunghetti, Longoni and many more.
Early Notables of the Luongo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Guglielmo Longhi, Cardinal of Rome in 1294; Martino Longhi the Elder (1534-1591) was an Italian architect; and his son, Onorio Longhi (1568-1619), an Italian architect; and his son, Martino Longhi the Younger (1602-1660), an Italian architect of the Baroque period. Luca Longhi (1507-1580) was an Italian painter of the Mannerist period, his most famous work is entitled...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Luongo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Luongo migration to the United States +
Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Luongo or a variant listed above:
Luongo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alessandro Luongo, aged 51, who landed in America from Naples, in 1897
- Amelia Luongo, aged 0, who landed in America from Campagna, in 1897
- Angelomichele Luongo, aged 24, who landed in America from Bonito, in 1899
- Anna Maria Luongo, aged 33, who settled in America from Forio, in 1899
Luongo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Luongo, aged 20, who landed in America from Paduli, in 1900
- Anna Luongo, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States from Bonito, in 1903
- Angela Maria Luongo, aged 4, who landed in America from Servinara, in 1903
- Agata Di Giov. Luongo, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Teora, Italy, in 1907
- Alfonso Luongo, aged 47, who settled in America from Naples, Italy, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Luongo (post 1700) +
- Thomas S. Luongo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Rhode Island, 1936, 1940, 1944, 1948 (alternate), 1952
- Joseph L. Luongo, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Rhode Island, 1964
- Alfred L. Luongo, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1960
- Alfred Leopold Luongo (1920-1986), United States federal judge
- Steve Luongo, American internationally recognized drummer, producer and songwriter
- Gerald J. Luongo (b. 1938), American Republican Party politician
- Christopher John Luongo (b. 1967), American ice hockey coach and former professional ice hockey player
- Massimo Luongo (b. 1992), Australian footballer
- Roberto Luongo (b. 1979), Canadian professional ice hockey goaltender
- Nelson Daniel Gutiérrez Luongo (b. 1962), Uruguayan footballer, member of the Uruguay national football team
Related Stories +