100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Italian, Spanish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lugo, Luco, Lugio, Lucio and others.
First found in Cremona a city in Lombardy, capital of the province of Cremona. Founded by the Romans in 218 it has a checkered history. Virgil studied here. The finest building is the cathedral in the Lombard Romanesque style. It was started in 1107. There are many frescos from the 16th century. It was Austrian in 1814, but became a part of Italy in 1859. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The Lugo family had been recorded in Cremona from the 14th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lugo research. Another 386 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1589 and 1853 are included under the topic Early Lugo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Lugo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Alonso De lugo, who arrived in Peru in 1534
- Alvaro De Lugo, who came to Honduras in 1567
- Pedro De Lugo, who came to Chile in 1577
- Brianda de Lugo, who arrived in Mexico in 1582
Lugo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Lugo, who was one of the Catalonian Volunteers in New Spain, recorded in California between the years 1796 and 1802
- Jose Lugo, who arrived in California sometime between 1796 and 1802
- Alonso De Lugo, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Juan Esteban Lugo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1839
- Juan Esteban Lugo, who settled in Puerto Rico in 1839
- Vanessa J. Lugo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008
- Socorro Lugo, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1996
- Nellie E. Lugo, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1972
- Juan J. Lugo, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 22nd District, 1968
- Bonnie Lugo, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Texas, 2012
- Bobby Lugo, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Arizona State House of Representatives 8th District, 1998
- Ron de Lugo (b. 1930), first Delegate from the United States Virgin Islands to the United States House of Representatives
- Ron de Lugo (b. 1930), American Democrat politician, Member of Virgin Islands legislature, 1957-60, 1963-66; Member of Democratic National Committee from Virgin Islands, 1959-64
- Carlos Benites Franquis de Lugo (b. 1691), Spanish Governor of Texas between 1736 - 1737
- Alexander Lugo (b. 1979), Colombian footballer
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, G.B. Dizionario Storico-Blasonico Delle Famiglie Nobili e Notabili Italiane 3 volumes. Pisa. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today, 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-0900455-209).
- Di Crollalanza, Goffredo. Enciclopedia araldico cavalleresca Prontuario nobiliare. Pisa: Presso La Direzione Del Giorale Araldica , 1878. Print.
- Bascapè, Giacomo and Marcello del Piazzo. Insegne e Simboli Araldica pubblica e privata medievale e moderna. Rome: 1983. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Lugo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lugo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2015 at 09:44.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!