Lowers History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origin of the proud surname Lowers can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which is now part of Czechoslovakia. German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. At first people used only a single name, but as the population grew and people began to travel, they began to find it necessary to take on an additional name to differentiate themselves. The distinguished surname Lowers is derived from the Middle High German "lewe," meaning "lion."
Early Origins of the Lowers family
The surname Lowers was first found in Bohemia, where the Lowers family became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the family became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. One of the earliest recorded Bohemian bearers of the name was Hensel Lebel, who lived in Budweis in 1387.
Important Dates for the Lowers family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lowers research. Another 312 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1225, 1522, 1265, 1300, 1706, 1733, 1799, 1465, 1460, 1507, 1628, 1703, 1796 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Lowers History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lowers Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Loewe, Loewen, Lowen, Lowe, Low, Lower, Löwe, Löw, Leu, Leue, Lau, Laue, Löbe, Lobe, Leb, Lebe and many more.
Early Notables of the Lowers family (pre 1700)
During this early period, notable bearers of the name Lowers included Leon Loewe von Rozmital (around 1465), whose famous descriptions of the Holy Land through which he traveled were translated into many languages, his daughter became the Queen of Bohemia; Hans Leu, The Elder...
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lowers Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lowers migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lowers Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ralph Lowers, who arrived in Maryland in 1670 
Lowers migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Lowers Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Susannah Lowers, aged 29, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
- Jane Lowers, aged 24, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Fitzjames"
Contemporary Notables of the name Lowers (post 1700)
- John F. Lowers, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 29th District, 1944 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html