Lorey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The origins the old family name Lorey can be found within medieval France. While the patronymic and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of a hereditary surname in France, occupational surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Many people, such as the Lorey family, adopted the name of their occupation as their surname. However, an occupational name did not become a hereditary surname until the office or type of employment became hereditary. The surname Lorey was an occupational name for a person who worked at a granary. The name translates literally from the Old French as of the granary.
Early Origins of the Lorey family
The surname Lorey was first found in Picardy (French: Picardie) in northern France, where the family took their name from Delor, a village in the department of Aisne, in the district of Neufchâtel.
Important Dates for the Lorey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lorey research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1665 and 1785 are included under the topic Early Lorey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lorey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Delor, De Lor, Delore, Delaur, De Laur, Delaure, Deloret, De Loret, Delauret, De Lauret, Delorey, De Lorey, Delaurey, De Laurey, Loré, Lorée, L'Orée, Laur, Laure, Lauré, Laurée, Loret, Lauret, Lorey, Laurey, Loreillard, Laureillard, Loreilleux, Laureilleux, Loriet, Lauriet, Loriey, Lauriey, Deloriet, Delauriet, Deloriey, Delauriey, Deslor, Délor, Deslaur, Délaur, Desloret, Déloret, Deslauret, Délauret, Deslorey, Délorey, Deslaurey, Délaurey, Desloriet, Déloriet, Deslauriet, Délauriet, Desloriey, Déloriey, Deslauriey and many more.
Early Notables of the Lorey family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lorey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lorey migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lorey Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joh Henrich Lorey, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1749 
- John Lorey, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1761 
- Johan Henrich Lorey, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1767 
- Henrich Ernst Lorey, who landed in New York, NY in 1782 
Lorey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Lorey, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1848 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lorey (post 1700)
- Dean Lorey (b. 1967), American Primetime Emmy Award, two-time Writers Guild of America nominated producer, writer and director
- Albert Lorey Groll (1866-1952), American artist
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)