on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Portuguese Lopes family come from? What is the Portuguese Lopes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lopes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lopes family history?In Portugal, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that described a person's temperament or appearance were frequently used. Such nicknames sometimes became hereditary and were passed down as surnames onto further generations. The name Lopes is thought to be derived from the Latin word "lupus," meaning "wolf."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lopez, Lopes, Lope, Llop, Lupus, Llopis and others.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lopes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham Lopes, who arrived in America in 1679
Lopes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Lopes, aged 37, landed in New Orleans, La in 1826
- F Lopes, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Gabriel Lopes, aged 25, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- I L DeFonso Lopes, aged 34, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Hario Lopes, aged 25, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1830
- Lisa Nicole Lopes (1971-2002), American rapper, singer and dancer
- Francisco Higino Craveiro Lopes (1894-1964), Portuguese statesman
- Alvaro Simoes Lopes, agriculturalist in Brazil
- Wagner Lopes (b. 1969), former Japanese footballer
- Wesley Lopes (b. 1980), left footed Brazilian footballer
- Fernão Lopes (1385-1459), Portuguese chronicler appointed by King Edward of Portugal
- David Júnior Lopes (b. 1982), Brazilian football defender
- Henry Charles Lopes PC, QC (1828-1899), 1st Baron Ludlow, British judge and Conservative Party politician
- Éverton dos Santos Lopes (b. 1988), Brazilian amateur boxer
- Hugo Miguel Almeida Costa Lopes (b. 1986), Portuguese footballer
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 19676. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Diccionario Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones 4 Volumes. 2001. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Lopes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lopes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 December 2014 at 07:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more