on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Portuguese
In Portugal, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that described a person's temperament or appearance were frequently used. Such nicknames sometimes became hereditary and were passed down as surnames onto further generations. The name Lopes is thought to be derived from the Latin word "lupus," meaning "wolf." Spelling variations
of this family name include: Lopez, Lopes, Lope, Llop, Lupus, Llopis and others.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lopes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham Lopes, who arrived in America in 1679
Lopes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Lopes, aged 37, landed in New Orleans, La in 1826
- F Lopes, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Gabriel Lopes, aged 25, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- I L DeFonso Lopes, aged 34, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Hario Lopes, aged 25, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1830
- Lisa Nicole Lopes (1971-2002), American rapper, singer and dancer
- Jose Ramos Lopes (b. 1915), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1959-67 (New York County 14th District 1959-65, 75th District 1966, 70th District 1967)
- Francisco Higino Craveiro Lopes (1894-1964), Portuguese statesman
- Alvaro Simoes Lopes, Brazilian agriculturalist
- Patrick Fabionn Lopes (1980-2016), simply known as Patrick, a Brazilian footballer who played from 1998 to 2014
- Nei Braz Lopes (b. 1942), Brazilian singer, composer, lawyer, writer and historian
- Manuel António de Sousa Lopes (1907-2005), Cape Verdean novelist, poet and essayist
- Pedro Miguel de Santana Lopes (b. 1956), Portuguese lawyer and politician, was Prime Minister of Portugal from 2004 to 2005
- Thomé Lopes, Portuguese scrivener
- Laura Rose Lopes, the British daughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Andrew Parker Bowles, OBE
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Diccionario Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones 4 Volumes. 2001. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Marques A. H. De Oliveira. History of Portugal. New York: Columbia University Press, 1972. Print.
The Lopes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lopes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 May 2016 at 14:17.
on orders of $85 or more