on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Portuguese Lopes family come from? What is the Portuguese Lopes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lopes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lopes family history?In Portugal, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that described a person's temperament or appearance were frequently used. Such nicknames sometimes became hereditary and were passed down as surnames onto further generations. The name Lopes is thought to be derived from the Latin word "lupus," meaning "wolf."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lopez, Lopes, Lope, Llop, Lupus, Llopis and others.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lopes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham Lopes, who arrived in America in 1679
Lopes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Lopes, aged 37, landed in New Orleans, La in 1826
- F Lopes, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Gabriel Lopes, aged 25, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- I L DeFonso Lopes, aged 34, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Hario Lopes, aged 25, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1830
- Lisa Nicole Lopes (1971-2002), American rapper, singer and dancer
- Francisco Higino Craveiro Lopes (1894-1964), Portuguese statesman
- Nei Braz Lopes (b. 1942), Brazilian singer, composer, lawyer, writer and historian
- Manuel António de Sousa Lopes (1907-2005), Cape Verdean novelist, poet and essayist
- Pedro Miguel de Santana Lopes (b. 1956), Portuguese lawyer and politician, was Prime Minister of Portugal from 2004 to 2005
- Thomé Lopes, Portuguese scrivener
- Laura Rose Lopes, the British daughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Andrew Parker Bowles, OBE
- Fátima Lopes (b. 1965), Portuguese fashion designer
- Leila Lopes (1959-2009), Brazilian actress, journalist and presenter of television
- José dos Santos Lopes (1911-1996), Brazilian football player
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Diccionario Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones 4 Volumes. 2001. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
The Lopes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lopes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 August 2015 at 07:32.
on orders of $85 or more